Friday, October 28, 2011

Parts of speech with brief definition


Sr.#
Part of Speech
Task, job, function
words as example
sentences as example
1.    
NOUN
thing or person
pen, dog, work, music, town, Lahore, teacher, Ali
This is my pen. He lives in my house. We live in Lahore.
2.    
PRONOUN
replaces a noun
I, you, he, she, some
Aafia is Pakistani. She is beautiful.
3.    
ADJECTIVE
describes a noun
a/an, the, 69, some, good, big, red, well, interesting
My cat is big. I like big cats.
4.    
VERB
action or state
(to) be, have, do, like, work, sing, can, must
Google is a web site. I like google.com.
5.    
ADVERB
describes a verb, adjective or adverb
quickly, silently, well, badly, very, really
My cat eats quickly. When she is very hungry, she eats really quickly.
6.    
PREPOSITION
links a noun to another word
to, at, after, on, but
We went to school on Monday.
7.    
CONJUNCTION
joins clauses or sentences or words
and, but, when
I like dogs and I like cats. I like cats and dogs. I like dogs but I don't like cats.
8.    
INTERJECTION
short exclamation, sometimes inserted into a sentence
oh!, ouch!, hi!, well
Ouch! That hurts! Hi! How are you? Well, I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your time.